Next time you swing by the grocery store, make sure to pick up a few extra lemons. Everything from cleaning to using them as scent, lemons are the perfect little frugal way to help you out around the house.
With that said, here are 25 tips on how to use lemons around your home:
For the kitchen:
1. Use lemon to sanitize your cutting boards.
2. Add a spoonful of lemon juice while cooking rice. It helps keep the rice from sticking together.
3. Use lemon juice to clean your microwave while leaving a nice fresh scent. Mix 3 tablespoons of lemon juice with a cup of water and microwave for 1 minute. Let it sit for a few minutes so it can steam then wipe the inside of your microwave clean!
4. Keep things from browning! Add lemon juice to guacamole to keep it bright and green.
5. Dab lemon juice on a cotton ball or sponge and leave it in your refrigerator for several hours. In combination with removing potentially smelly items, your refrigerator should smell fresh for days.
6. Throw a few slices of lemon down your garbage disposal to clean it and deodorize.
7. Use a bowl of lemons as a centerpiece on your kitchen table.
8. Use lemon rinds to polish chrome. It works by eliminating mineral deposits.
9. Put a small dish of sliced lemons next to your cat’s litter box to help neutralize smelly odors.
10. Use lemon juice with your humidifier to reduce the chances of getting that weird moldy smell.
11. Adding 1/2 cup of lemon juice to your load of laundry will help brighten your whites.
12. Use lemon juice around your picnic areas to keep ants away. I can’t say I know of anyone that said this works, but I also don’t go around asking!
13. If you are a fan of using vinegar water to clean but don’t enjoy the vinegar smell, adding a dash of lemon juice to your solution will help neutralize the strong vinegar smell.
14. Using regular lemon juice, not mixed with anything is a great degreaser.
15. Mixing 1 cup of lemon juice with 1/2 cup of borax makes the perfect toilet cleaner. It will get rid of stains and of course, smell nice too!
15. Use lemons to dissolve soap scum on things like bathroom tiles, shower doors, etc. the acid in the lemon really makes the scum disappear.
16. I use lemon juice to help make my hands smell better after handling smelly things like fish or crab. (I have found that coffee grinds also help neutralize odors on your hands.)
17. Eliminate fireplace odor by throwing a few lemon peels into the flames.
18. Keep insects away using a lemon treatment. Squirt lemon juice around the doors and windowsills where you think the bugs are entering. Also squirt lemon juice around cracks or crevices. Lastly, scatter a few small slices of lemon peel around any doors to the outside. Most all bugs hate the smell and will find a new place to hang out.
19. Cut a lemon and half and wipe all your dull pots and pans to make them sparkle like they are brand new. Just rub them over with a soft cloth after using the lemon.
20. Whiten your fingernails by rubbing a slice over your nails them wiping them. (I haven’t tried this out yet, but would love to after I remove my dark red polishes, my nails are always tinted a pinkish color)
I bet you didn’t know there were so many different ways this amazing little fruit can be used! Are there any you’d like to add?